Note: The full current Conditions can be downloaded from the GUI website here.
1. The Trophy shall be called the “Fred Daly Trophy”.
2. The Championship is open to all Clubs affiliated to the Golfing Union of Ireland. Each Club shall be entitled to enter one team.
3. Each team shall consist of seven members in both the Provincial and National sections.
4. Each member of the team must be:
a) a member of the Club from which he is selected but an Honorary Member must have been, at some time, a fee paying member of the Club for a period of two years:
b) under 18 years of age on 1st January in the year of the Championship
c) ordinarily resident in Ireland on and from the 31st day of March in the year of the Championship. For the purpose of this Rule absence from Ireland on the relevant date for education purposes, secondment or temporary employment shall not disqualify.
5. 1) Each Provincial Council shall appoint a Championship Committee which shall be responsible for the organisation and management of the Tournaments and the decision of this Committee shall be final on all matters relating thereto.
5. 2) Only members of the Provincial Council or persons nominated by the Council (to include the Provincial Secretary) may be appointed to the Championship Committee and only such members may adjudicate on any question or dispute arising during the course of play.
6. The Central Council shall appoint a Championship Committee which shall control and manage the National Section, which shall comprise the Match Play semi-finals and Finals amongst the Provincial winners, and its decision on all questions or disputes under these Rules or during course of play shall be final. The Championship Committee reserves the right to alter starting times.
7. Each Club entered in the Championship shall play the Provincial Section in its own Province. The winning club shall represent the Province in the National Section.
8. The National Section shall be played at a venue and on a date to be fixed by the Central Council of the Union.
9. A player must compete for his Home Club (defined in accordance with the CONGU UHS as the Club which administers and controls his Handicap) should that Club require him to do so.
10. Whilst the players on each team may be changed, no person shall play for more than one Club in this Championship during the season.
11. Teams must play in order of current playing handicap.
12. (a) The Captains of the two teams about to engage in a match shall simultaneously interchange the names of the members of their teams, with their handicap and in order of play, together with the names of reserves, at least 10 minutes before the time arranged for the start of the match. Once the team list has been handed over it may not be altered except as provided for in Rule 12.
(b) For the National Finals the teams for the semi-finals, in order of play with current handicaps together with the names of reserves, must be handed to the Union official in charge in a sealed envelope not later than 16.00 hours on the day prior to the match and for the Final not later than 30 minutes after play in the semi-finals is completed.
13. Except in the case of sudden illness or other emergency which is considered by the Provincial Council or the Championship Committee to be sufficient justification, no alteration can be made in the list handed in, either in the matter of players or in the order of play. Reserves taking the place of players after the team has been submitted shall be placed in the same position in the team as that occupied by the player who has taken ill or has been withdrawn irrespective of handicap.
14. Each Branch shall advise the name of Provincial winner to the General Secretary of the Union prior to the date of the National Section.
15. The winning club in each Province shall be responsible for arranging accommodation for its team at the venue fixed for the National Section.
16. The Trophy shall be held for the year by the winning club. Silver Gilt Medals will be awarded to the members of the winning team, Silver Medals to the runners-up and Bronze Medals to the defeated semi-finalists. Non-playing Team Captains will be awarded a special medal.
17. The winning club in each Province will be presented with a Provincial Pennant and the club which wins the Championship will be presented with a National Pennant.
18. No person whose age exceeds the age limit for the event may act as caddie. (Penalty: Match play - loss of each hole at which the infringement occurs, to a maximum of two holes; Stroke play - 2 strokes at each hole the infringement occurs, to a maximum of 4 strokes). That any further breach will lead to the disqualification of the player(s).
19. No professional golfer may act as a caddie. (Penalty - disqualification of the player).
20. No professional golfer may act as Team Captain (Penalty - disqualification of the team).
21. All matches will be played off scratch.
22. If a match is all square after 18 holes the competitors shall immediately continue to play tie holes until a decision is reached unless an overall result on matches won has already decided the event.
23. The penalty for breach of Rules 4, 9, 10, 11, 12(b) or 13 shall be disqualification of the team concerned.
N.B. these Rules must be read in conjunction with the General Rules for Cups and shields.